The Swan Lake Campsites location is in Rapid River, Michigan
49878. This page provides detailed contact information for this campground location including the campground phone number, office hours, reservation information and driving directions.
If you have any questions about the Swan Lake Campsites facility, or if you need to reserve a campsite, then call the campground listed below.
Rapid River/Manistique Ranger District
8181 Us Hwy 2
906-474-6442 OR 906-387-2512
Campground information Rapid River, Michigan
There are many campsites on the Munising and Rapid River/Manistique Ranger Districts of the Hiawatha National Forest. Many are located on inland lakes and are in a rustic forest environment with few to no amenities and no drinking water. The rustic environment offers a wonderfully serene and peaceful setting for your next camping experience. All of these sites are nestled in hardwood trees and pines. All of them are on small inland lakes, which offer a wide variety of fishing opportunities.
Visitors will be able to enjoy swimming, berry picking, and fishing at these campsites. Licenses are required for fishing in Michigan waters.
All campsites on Swan Lake have excellent swimming areas.
Swan Lake offers a good fishery for large and smallmouth bass, bluegills and pumpkinseeds. There is a public boat launch to Steuben Lake located near Site 1.
There are three primitive toilets available, but NO drinking water.
- Primitive toilets are located at sites 1, 2 and between 3 and 4.
Lake Name: Swan Lake
Number of Sites: 4
Max Number of People Per Site: Site 1 (8), Site 2-4 (16)
Boat Access: Back-In
Lake Size (acres): 169
Number of Horses Allowed: Site 1 (2), Site 2 (2), Site 3 (4), Site 4 (6)
Swan Lake is the most popular lake in the designated campsite program, so getting a permit to camp here can be quite competitive. All four campsites are located on the non-motorized Pine Marten Run Trail and horse camping is allowed.
- Site 1 is located on a small hill overlooking the west shore of the lake and is isolated from the other three campsites on the lake. This site is 60 ft x 30 ft, and is suitable for one family. Trailers are NOT recommended unless they are set up in the parking area at the base of the knoll. The public boat launch to the lake is located near this site, so campers may have boaters accessing the lake.
- Site 2 is on the southwest side of the lake and is 65 ft x 50 ft. This site is level and suitable for two families and small trailers. Turn-around space is very limited.
- Site 3 is a nice level area, 65 ft x 35 ft, that can accomodate two families and trailers.
- Site 4 is 80 ft x 70 ft and suitable for two families.
Sites 3 and 4 are adjacent to one another and can be reserved together to accomodate larger groups.
There are a number of horse, bike, and hiking trails within minutes of several of the sites. In over a mile from these campsites, visitors can expect to find: bait shops, general and grocery stores, gas, a pay phone, trailheads, a fishing pier, biking, and kayak/canoe rentals.
For local information, please call (906) 474-6442 or call (906) 387-2512 for general information.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rapid River/Manistique Ranger District Rapid River, MI
How do I make a reservation with Swan Lake Campsites?
To make reservations at Swan Lake Campsites, you can call the office at 906-474-6442 OR 906-387-2512.
Where is Swan Lake Campsites located?
The Swan Lake Campsites is located at Rapid River/Manistique Ranger District 8181 Us Hwy 2 in Rapid River,
. This is the location you will need to go to for camping and information.
Does Swan Lake Campsites have tent or RV camping?
Swan Lake Campsites offers both tent and RV camping, but to confirm you will need to call the office at 906-474-6442 OR 906-387-2512 to make sure things haven’t changed.