The Sawtooth Canyon Campground location is in Barstow, California
92311. This page provides detailed contact information for this campground location including the campground phone number, office hours, reservation information and driving directions.
If you have any questions about the Sawtooth Canyon Campground facility, or if you need to reserve a campsite, then call the campground listed below.
2601 Barstow Rd
Campground information Barstow, California
Sawtooth Canyon Campground, also know by its nickname “New Jack City,” is located approximately 3 miles west of California Highway 247 and 20 mile south of Barstow, California. In this “Limited” use area there are many different recreation activities: camping, wildlife viewing, hunting, rock climbing, and picnicking.
The name “New Jack City” is the most widely used name and originates for the rock climbing community who use the area. However, the historic name for the canyon is “Traer Agua” which means “bring water’. “Sawtooth Canyon” is derived from the resemblance between the ridge line and the outline of a saw blade.
There are not open routes of travel in this campground area. OHV vehicles must be trailered in and trailered out, there is not a staging area. Sawtooth Canyon is designated multiple and “Limited” vehicle use. Recreation management guidelines for “Limited” use provides lower intensity, carefully controlled activity to ensure minimal damage to soil, vegetation, wildlife, scenic values, and air quality.
Know Before You Go
- OHV riding is prohibited in Sawtooth, this is not a OHV Recreational riding area.
- Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return. Bring sufficient water, food, clothing, equipment, and first aid supplies for your activity.
- Weather extremes and poisonous snakes are desert hazards common to this area. Avoid low-lying areas during storms and remember that rain upstream can cause flooding even though it is not raining in the immediate area.
- Weather: The area is hot and arid, with summer high temperatures ranging from 100 to 120 degrees F. Winter low temperatures may drop below freezing with highs in the 70’s. Typical of the desert, winds are frequent and strong, and humidity is generally low.
- Food, Fuel and Necessities: Food, fuel and most necessities are available in Barstow. Cellular phone service is not reliable in all locations.
Camping and Fees
Campgrounds are on a first come first serve basis. No reservations are needed and there are is no fee.
Sawtooth has 13 campsites: Four campsites are located near Boy Scout Wall, just north of the concrete pad, along with a vault toilet and kiosk. Three campsites are located on the other side of the canyon from Boy Scout Wall, these campsites are walk-in sites since they are 50 feet from the parking area. Sawtooth has a campground host-site just northeast of White Face Wall.
There are shade Ramadas, 12 fire pits with grills, 12 barbeque grills, and 12 picnic tables. Sawtooth is a primitive campground area, primarily visited by visitors in tents as well as self contained recreational vehicles RV’s and travel trailers.
Campfire permits are required and may be restricted in fire season. Fire danger is extreme during most of the year. Campfire permits can be obtained online at www.preventwildfireca.org.
Frequently Asked Questions About 2601 Barstow Rd Barstow, CA
How do I make a reservation with Sawtooth Canyon Campground?
To make reservations at Sawtooth Canyon Campground, you can call the office at 760-252-6000.
No fees required.
Where is Sawtooth Canyon Campground located?
The Sawtooth Canyon Campground is located at 2601 Barstow Rd in Barstow,
. This is the location you will need to go to for camping and information.
Does Sawtooth Canyon Campground have tent or RV camping?
Sawtooth Canyon Campground offers both tent and RV camping, but to confirm you will need to call the office at 760-252-6000 to make sure things haven’t changed.